Looking for a dish to cook for your valentine? Try this slow cooked lamb curry! Enjoy a glass of wine and some appetizers while the lamb is cooking. And, you might feel it was worth the wait.
Its okay to have red meat once in a while, especially for a candle-lit dinner. Make sure you trim off as much visible fat as possible. This dish is definitely healthier than what you would order in a restaurant. Balance it with my carrot & apple mint raita (recipe to follow soon) and whole wheat naan or roti.
Per serving: 176 cals | 13 g protein | 12 g total fat | 1 g fiber | 1 mg iron
1 -1.2 lb lamb steak
1 onion, chopped*
2 large bright red tomatoes, pureed
2″ ginger piece (4 tsp ginger paste) (add 1″ or 2 tsp if you are not used to Indian cooking)
3 large cloves of garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp red chili powder (add 1/2 tsp if you want it less spicy)
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp sugar (add 1/2 tsp if you have reduced the chili and ginger)
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
* 1 onion in US= 2 onions in India
- Wash the lamb steak thoroughly and trim off the visible fat as much as possible since it is high in saturated fatty acids. Then, cut it into 1″ pieces.
- Chop the onion finely and pass the tomato through a blender/ processor to make a puree.
- Make a fresh ginger garlic paste by chopping and then mashing the ginger and garlic with a mortar and pestle. Or you can run it through the processor.
- Now, heat oil in a non-stick pot. Add the bay leaf, clove and the chopped onion. Saute the onion on medium heat till the onion caramelizes (turns medium brown in color).
- Then add the ginger -garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- You can now add the lamb pieces, red chili powder & cinnamon powder and mix well. Cover the pot and let the lamb pieces absorb the flavor for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Mix in the tomato puree and salt. Cover it again and let the lamb cook on low heat for about 40 minutes. Some prefer lamb medium rare while others like it well done. It may take lesser or more time depending on how rare or well done you like it. So check the texture of lamb after 30 minutes. Add some water if needed. This dish is meant to have a thick gravy so don’t add a lot of water.
- When the lamb pieces are cooked sprinkle sugar to balance the sourness of the tomatoes and heat of the ginger and chili powder. Mix well.
- Serve with a garnish or cilantro, or mint or sliced spinach with your choice of bread / rice. A bowl of apple & carrot salad / raita will go well with the dish. Recipe to follow soon.
- Eat less bread/ rice than usual as this dish has slightly more calories and you need to have some room for dessert too! 🙂
- Bon Appetit!
The spiciness of the dish may increase over time. So if you have leftovers, you can tone it down with some low fat yogurt.