A lot of snow or a little snow!! Keep warm and stay healthy! Enjoy your day off – watching & photographing the beautiful snowscape from your house or have fun outside. A movie or a book and a warm salad or piping hot soup to go with it, will surely lift your spirit! Try my warm broccoli & mushroom salad and soups/stews on this blog….and let me know if you like it. Hope you’d stocked up on these! 🙂 This is also a great way to re-introduce broccoli to someone who does not like it! Believe me…it will be worth a try!
Per serving: 80 cals | 3 g proteins | 3 g fiber | 6 g total fat
Ingredients (4 servings)
3 cups of Broccoli florets
1 box of Crimini mushrooms (~230 g)
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the mushrooms thoroughly. For details on how to select fresh mushrooms, see post Matar Mushroom Curry. Cut the mushrooms the way you like. I usually cut the stem first and then slice the cap into uniform pieces. Don’t slice them too thin, because mushrooms have a high water content and shrink quite a bit. They hardly take a few minutes to cook.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the chopped garlic. When the garlic becomes aromatic, add the sliced mushrooms and saute on high heat for 1-2 minutes to caramelize the mushrooms. Then reduce the heat to medium and let them cook uncovered for another 3-4 minutes.
- Microwave the broccoli florets in a small amount of water for 2-3 minutes. They should be medium firm and moist; not too soft nor too firm.
- Add the broccoli to the mushrooms and sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well. Continue to cook for another minute or so.
- Then serve as a side or an appetizer. Enjoy!