This is an easy sandwich you can pack for your lunch. It is well-balanced with whole grain bread, veggies and good amount of protein. A small apple or any other fruit would make a great dessert with this lunch! Unsweetened low fat yogurt cup would also be a good accompaniment.
350 cals | 15g proteins | 7g fiber | 17g total fat
Ingredients (1 serving)
2 slices of 100% whole grain bread (At least 3g fiber per slice)
1 egg (large)
2 tsp oil (canola/olive)
3 long slices of onion, halved
2 rings of capsicum, diced
2-3 grape tomatoes/ slices of tomatoes
1 cup salad greens
Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Lightly toast the bread slices and place them in your rectangular lunch box.
- Beat the egg in a bowl with a fork till it is light and foamy. Add the sliced onion and diced capsicum, salt and ground black pepper and mix well. I sometimes add red chili powder or rainbow peppers from Trader Joe’s or mixed dried herbs. You may try these seasonings some time and see if you like it.
- Pan fry the omlet in oil on a non-stick pan on medium heat and cover it while doing the first side. Covering the omlet causes the omlet to fluff up…a trick I learned from my husband. He makes excellent omlets. Anyways, then flip it over and cook the other side as well to a nice light brown color.
- Transfer it to one of the toasted bread slices. On the other slice, place the salad greens, tomatoes slices and sprinkle some salt and pepper. The reason why I keep the fresh veggies separate is to avoid the transfer of heat from the omlet to the veggies, which can make them soggy. The oil and the juicy tomatoes will provide the moistness to the sandwich while the salad greens, onion and capsicum will make for a good crunchy element, so you won’t need any chips to go with it! 😉
- Pack your lunch box when the omlet has cooled a bit and add a packet of ketchup and/or a fruit/yogurt. When you are ready to have your lunch, close the sandwich delicately and enjoy!