I recently purchased a pressure cooker from Amazon:
I am quite happy with it and it comes in different sizes. Its great when you want to reduce the cooking time. If you have steel containers that stack, you can cook multiple dishes in the same time. Here is a lentils curry recipe that is easy to make. It can be easily served as a soup by increasing the amount of water and adding diced carrots while cooking the lentils.
Per serving: 117 cals | 6g proteins | 4g fiber | 4 g fat
Ingredients (4 servings)
½ cup whole lentils
¼ onion, chopped §
½ tomato, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped & mashed*
1 tbsp ginger, chopped & mashed*
1 green chilies, chopped, optional*
1 tbsp oil
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
A pinch of asafetida
¼ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp dried coriander powder
1 cm cinnamon stick
Salt as needed
A few coriander leaves for garnish
* You can even grind them together
§ ¼ onion in US= ½ onion in India
- Wash the lentils and transfer them to a steel container that can fit in pressure cooker and add double the amount of water. To this add rest of the ingredients except for the coriander powder, salt, peppercorns & cinnamon stick.
- Pressure cook the lentils for 5 minutes on low heat after the first whistle if you are using pressure cooker from India. If you are using a Presto pressure cooker purchased in the US, turn down the heat after the pressure regulator begins to rock and the air vent/cover lock is in “up” position and keep it on low heat for 5 minutes. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, or prefer to cook over the stove, cook till the lentils are soft enough for consumption.
- In another pot, heat oil and add the cinnamon stick & peppercorns.
- After the pressure from the pressure cooker is released- when the air vent/cover lock goes down, open the lid carefully and transfer the lentils to the seasoned oil. Sprinkle salt and coriander powder and mix well. Turn on the heat again and let it boil for 2 minutes. Add additional chili powder if you like it spicy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Basmati rice.