This is a simple dish made with eggplant that does not require any baking. Instead of making a traditional dish with eggplant (baingan bharta), I decided to take a detour and try making the dish without baking or roasting the eggplant, just to make it easy to prepare.
Check out what tips the chef and the nutritionist have for this dish.
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
1 eggplant, ~1 lb
1 onion, coarsely chopped*
3 tomatoes, diced
3 large cloves garlic, chopped, mashed
¾ tsp red chili powder
¾ tsp corriander powder
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp sugar
Salt as needed
* 1 onion in US= 2 red onions in India
- Dice the onion and tomatoes. Wash and dry the eggplant and dice it as well.
- Now, heat oil in a non-stick pot. Once it is hot, add the mashed garlic and let it turn golden on medium heat.
- Then add the chopped onions. Let the onions soften and turn golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, corriander powder and sugar. Mix well and allow the tomatoes to soften.
- When the tomatoes have softened and the oil begins to separate, add the diced eggplant and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle salt and mix well. Cover the pot with a lid and let the eggplant cook on low to medium heat. Check on the eggplant after 10 minutes. Mix well and continue to cook it till done.
- When the eggplant is cooked, taste it to ensure that the dish has a good balance of sweetness from the sugar and onions, sourness from the tomatoes and heat from the chili powder.
- Add a garnish of fresh coriander leaves and serve with chapatti and a bowlful of low fat-yogurt and or roasted poppadam (papad). You can also serve it with whole wheat wraps/ pita bread, or baked pita chips with or without hummus.
Chef’s tip: You can use a baked eggplant for this dish as well. Apply oil on the eggplant and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes. Its best to not remove the crown and bake it whole after pricking the eggplant with a knife.
Nutritionist’s tip: This dish is a good source of fiber and is low in carbs, but does not contain any protein. Do include a good protein food in your meal along with this dish. Great accompaniments are low-fat yogurt, hummus, or a lentils soup along with some bread as suggested above.