Sorry for not posting any recipes for the last two weeks. Neeraj and I are now in India- Neeraj for his work and I am spending time with my family. Its good to be HOME. Neeraj and I have traveled to India every 3 months for the past 3 years…(I bet nobody has done that before…hehe). The frequent travel has been a hardship requiring us to maintain two apartments in two different countries while enduring a knee injury, and a privilege to be closer to family. Ultimately, it somehow feels worthwhile to see your family after a few months. A journey that takes us ~11,000 miles across the globe and almost 30 hours in transit brings us home to our loved ones!
There is always the longing to see your parents, having your mom cook for you and you cooking for her and sharing ideas on cooking new dishes in the kitchen or over lunch. Every dish made by your mom, somehow tastes better!! No surprises here as we all know that the secret ingredient is “unconditional love”. Neeraj and I were away from home this year for Diwali, but we recalled every joyous moment of the festivities we got to celebrate with family over the past few years. Since, we missed Diwali, my mom had saved up plenty of Diwali sweets and snacks for us and so I was able to relish home-cooked sweets even after Diwali. I tell you – the sweets taste better even after Diwali is over!! Coming home to receive gifts that your parents and siblings have left for you…adds on to the fun! 😀
Well, I don’t want to make you jealous of me, so I am sharing one of my mom’s Diwali sweets recipe. It is certified “Healthy” by me! 🙂
CHIVADA (A dry snack made with rice flakes)
This is a healthy well-balanced snack since it contains roasted, rice flakes, few split beans, nuts and it made with very little amount of oil. It has a good balance of carbohydrates and proteins from the dal and nuts in a non-greasy savory snack form, that provides B-complex vitamins and Iron as well.
Ingredients (15-20 servings)
250 gms rice flakes
200 gms split chick peas (chana dal)
200 gms roasted peanuts
¼ cup roasted cashew nuts
¼ cup raisins
5 green chilies, cut into half
½ tsp asafetida
1 tsp turmeric powder
10-15 curry leaves, washed & pat dried
5 tbsp oil
5 tsp powdered sugar
Salt to taste
- In a pot roast the rice flakes on medium heat till they become light and crisp to taste, while stirring constantly. When done, transfer them to a plate.
- Heat oil in the same pot and add green chilies and let them sizzle well. Then add asafetida and turn off the heat.
- Allow the oil to cool a bit and then add curry leaves. When they become crispy, turn on the heat again.
- Now add the chana dal and fry till brown on medium heat. Add roasted cashew & peanuts and mix well.
- Then add turmeric powder and salt and turn off heat. Then add the rice flakes and heat on low flame. Sprinkle powdered sugar and raisins. Allow it to cool down.
- When it has cooled off, transfer to an air-tight container. Don’t leave the snack open for a long time as the rice flakes will lose their crispness. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea or have a handful of it every time you crave a snack.